Arab Christians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arab Christians

There is a discussion about Arab Christians on the BBC site, that I have been keeping an eye on.. many of the comments are kinda interesting on there.

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thre...20051127190326

Nicaragua

Arab Christian in Morocco

A question

Really I don't know about this.....so I would like ask....

Are there Arabic Christian in Morocco ?

Comment

Originally posted by aswad
      A question

yes there are! but not many as in middle east (egypt, syria, lebanon, palestine..), i think there r more jewish arabs in morocco than Christians. i think the christians in morocco are only those foreigners residing in morocco (not arabs), here in Larache there is a church i only see the spanish residents who frequent to there. thats' what i think.

Comment

yeah larache is right. they are not actually arabs, they are just like saying a british muslim, that dont make you english.

Comment

Originally posted by aswad View Post
          A question

That depends on what you mean with Arab Christians.

Like Larache4eva already said, most Christians in Morocco are foreigners that live and work in Morocco, although there is a relatively small number of Moroccan converts.

But if you mean a community of native Christians which dates back to pre-Islamic times,
          like the Copts in Egypt, then the answer is no.

There have been Christians in Morocco and the rest of the Maghreb prior to Islam, and there are some indications that some native Christian communities here survived until the 16th century, but the last of them disappeared a few centuries ago.

But aside from that, there is also the issue of what you define as Arab Christian - do you mean a Christian community in an Arab country, or a Christian who is ethnically and culturally Arabian?

You see, the Copts, Chaldeans, modern Assyrians and Syriacs are often considered Arab Christians by outsiders, but I assure you that no Copt, Assyrian or Chaldean will regard him/herself as Arab.

And the native Christians that lived in the Maghreb were not ethnically or culturally Arabic - most (if not all) of them were Romanized, and spoke a Romance language.

Comment

..Arab christians are present in Morocco. I knew of one who is my best friend are there are hidden house churches. This person is Moroccan born and converted to Christ in early 20's. This person was muslim. About 1.9 % in moroc are followers of Christ and they are quite passionate about and for him compared to a Christian country such as usa , uk or even australia.

Comment

Originally posted by LalaMimi View Post
              There is a discussion about Arab Christians on the BBC site, that I have been keeping an eye on.. many of the comments are kinda interesting on there.

BBC NEWS | Have Your Say | Are you a Christian in the Middle East?
              This discussion would have came as a shock to me about 5 yrs ago, but it is no longer the case since I met the live proof There is a small number of Christian Moroccans who are not converts nor foreigners who came to Morocco and stayed. Unfortunately, even though Morocco is a country that believes in freedom of religions (horyat al akida as was thought to us in ‘the national education courses’), it’s not making it easy for the non-Muslim-Moroccans to live in Morocco as just normal Moroccans as opposed to ‘guests in their own country’. These people usually live in constant fear (as did our jewish-Moroccans and still do). & most immigrate abroad once they have a chance (they’re mostly Catholics and Protestants).

Peace!

Comment

Arab christians are present in Morocco. I knew of one who is my best friend are there are hidden house churches. This person is Moroccan born and converted to Christ in early 20's. This person was muslim. About 1.9 % in moroc are followers of Christ and they are quite passionate about and for him compared to a Christian country such as usa , uk or even australia
                they better not get caught slipping trying to prosyletize. It is against the law.

Comment

Working...
                X