• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moroccan husband can transmit citizenship to US wife

I am reading that a moroccan citizenship husband can "transmit moroccan
    citizenship to his foreign (US) wife". Can someone tell me the procedure
    for this? I have been reading the new rights for women in morocco. We
    are in the US. My moroccan husband is receiving his green card, permanent
    residency and eventual citizenship thru our marriage. I think it is only fair
    that I be able to do the same. (at least I would get something).
    His rights and privileges that he has gained thru our marriage are pretty good.
    So, I am deserving.
    I would like to ask husband to do this for me.

Ma_li_ka knows a lot about this sorta thing - why not PM her?

Nicaragua

Comment

moroccan husband can transmit citizen to US wife

is she on the forum? i would like to know about this...

Comment

I think you can get a carte de sejour on the basis of marriage I believe. At least I know a friend has recently obtained one from the Embassy.

Comment

Originally posted by Niree13
          So, I am deserving.

Because Morocco has a very strict policy on who is Moroccan and who is not, it's not easy to explain the regulations and limitations.

In a nutshell:
          No a Moroccan husband cannot transmit his nationality (citizenship) to a spouse, only to his children if they are born within wedlock and registred in his 7ala madaniya. (In theory there are exceptions for children born to a Moroccan woman outside of wedlock)

You can ask your husband all you want to, but your demand is very unrealistic. First off, you don't live in Morocco, so marriage is not a ticket to become another nationality? If I were to marry a Chinese guy while living in Mauretania, do you think it is my right to become a Chinese?

Now even if you would live in Morocco with your husband for several years, it would not be easy to become a Moroccan. You have to have been a resident for 5 to 10 years. You have to have a legitimate reason to become a resident and you have to have several witnesses that will vow for your integrity. Don't forget a good lawyer and some serious cash. Maybe then, le ministère de l'intérieur will take a look at your demand. I have known foreigner in Morocco, that are born in Morocco, that are there for over 20 years, they have Moroccan spouses, children... and they still cannot become Moroccans.
          Also you have to take an oath that you will take distance from your previous nationality/citizenship. For an American that is treason. So I wouldn't want to go there, if I were you.

Besides, why would you want to be a Moroccan? Their passport is not going to open any doors, moreover it closes doors.

Word of advice: forget it.

Comment

mococcan husband can transmit citizenship to US wife.

maybe i put it wrong... just the moroccan citizenship (for no reason, other
            than it would be a fair trade) he receives all right and privileges from me
            here in the US> i just read in the new family code that a moroccan husband
            can transmit citizenship to a foreign wife. THe new codes are really moving
            forward and hopefully that's good.
            one citizenship for another is fair.

Comment

maybe i put it wrong... just the moroccan citizenship (for no reason, other
              than it would be a fair trade) he receives all right and privileges from me
              here in the US> i just read in the new family code that a moroccan husband
              can transmit citizenship to a foreign wife. THe new codes are really moving
              forward and hopefully that's good.
              one citizenship for another is fair.
              The code you are speaking of, is in actuality the Moudawana. And yes it is being reformed, but you are putting things out of context.
              A husband cannot transmit his nationality to a foreign spouse, the Moudawana wants to improve the rights of a foreign spouse in Morocco, to obtain Moroccan nationality. Just as I said in my previous posts.
              But then still that alien needs:
              1. to be a RESIDENT for several years
              2. have good CONDUCT
              3. have reasons and integrity and WITNESSES that vow for that
              4. speak the LANGUAGE

What's possible in theory may not be so easy in reality. Morocco is no US.

And as for citizenship...nobody gives citizenship to someone other than the STATE or GOVERNMENTAL ENTITY. You don't hand out any priviliges or rights? That's absurd to state it that way. Changing citizenship is an individual right and choice. And you have to put an individual effort to obtain another citizenship than the one you were born with.

Fair trade? That's an odd way to put things. The only Fair Trade I know are from organically grown bananas and coffeebeans from Costa Rica hehehehe But that's just my two cents, it's really none of my business what your expectations in your marriage are.

Just don't forget the TREASON part aafak

Comment

So, I am deserving.

You go girlfriend! You gonna get a whole bunch of rights in Morocco

BTW, as Ma Li Ka has pointed out, you know that you can lose your American citizenship. Whatever floats your boat
                Nismo says
                Have you try Mr Muscle that will improve your cleaning skill in the kitchen .

Comment

weird Because a Moroccan Husband CAN NOT transmitt Citizenship to an Algerian wife . MY algerian friend has been married for 30 years , in casablanca . she was Born in Morocco too. she is still Algerian. the other day he decided to check a college in France for his son , he had a visa to go to France , 3 kids too but his wife did not get a visa (no reason explained , it is a luck ) so she was stuck at home while they had a short holiday . i found that disgusting . because people stay in UK or Canada 5 years and they get the citizenship , but if you are Born in An arab country it does not count . such a shame .

Comment

Originally posted by nesrine View Post
                    weird Because a Moroccan Husband CAN NOT transmitt Citizenship to an Algerian wife . MY algerian friend has been married for 30 years , in casablanca . she was Born in Morocco too. she is still Algerian. the other day he decided to check a college in France for his son , he had a visa to go to France , 3 kids too but his wife did not get a visa (no reason explained , it is a luck ) so she was stuck at home while they had a short holiday . i found that disgusting . because people stay in UK or Canada 5 years and they get the citizenship , but if you are Born in An arab country it does not count . such a shame .
                    That's odd. So your friend is married for 30 years with an Algerian lady.
                    That means the Algerian lady was born before 1965, right? If she is born before that year she may be eligible for French citizenship if her parents took any effort to get it. As you may know, Algeria used to be an overseas "departement" from France. Any Algerian born before 1965 was considered French. So she may want to give that a go and look into it.
                    I know a Moroccan Algerian woman from Oujda who got her French citizenship back in the late nighties when she found out she was entitled to it.

As for the citizenship, like I stated in the past (I am Ma_li_ka, I just forgot my password and my email@ wasn't valid anymore .. BUMMER! ), it is almost an impossibility to become Moroccan through "naturalisation". Personally I don't see the big deal when you are living outside of Morocco, because who wants that green passport anyway? I am happy I got rid of mine!
                    But when you are living in Morocco it can really be a hassle. Not so much for the example you have given, but more in a reverse situation. Imagine if the man would be Algerian, his kids would not be considered Moroccan while they were born an raised in the country. Basically you don't have much rights then.
                    But it is possible though: it just takes a long way and lots of money.
                    But I guess if you can travel with kids to France for a vacation, you have that kind of money.

Comment

1. to be a RESIDENT for several years
                      2. have good CONDUCT
                      3. have reasons and integrity and WITNESSES that vow for that
                      4. speak the LANGUAGE

1.5-10 yrs, check
                      2.stay away from casa and rabat, check
                      3.rishwa, check
                      4.????? which one

Comment

To come from the North of Africa you get al kinds of rights in the Western countries. Not vise versa.
                        Believe me there are "no" rights for western women -well not the kind that you are used to.
                        You have the right to remain silent - most of the time (no talking like you are used to)
                        You have the right to go shopping - just not alone
                        You would have the right to remain indoors most of the time
                        You would have the right to wear poloneck shirts when it is 42 degrees celcius-

on a more serious note . I HOPE your husband treat you with love and respect until death do you part.
                        forget about his country you've got your own . . .

Comment

Working...
                        X