Go Back   Morocco.com Discussion Forum > Religion/Religion > Islam/Islam

Notices

Moroccan Muslim man and Non-Muslim American woman

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 5th February 2011, 19:04

Moroccan Muslim man and Non-Muslim American woman

Hello. I have a question. I am an American woman who is not a Muslim but I believe in God and I have started to research to learn about Islam. I have a Moroccan male friend who I have become very close with and we were talking of living together at some point in the future, he went back to Morocco to see family for a month and when he came back, he told me that we can only be friends now. He tells me that there is no other woman and that he has strong feelings for me, but it's not about feelings it's about religion. I am so confused because I really thought that things were going well and I have fallen in love with this man. Can anyone tell me is it against the muslim religion for him to be with me because I am not muslim? I have read on several Islam sites that even the Prophet Mohammed had a wife that was not Muslim, so I am hoping that people here who know much more than I on this subject will be able to share with me why religion wouldn't allow him to be with me.
Thank you all so much.
Old 6th February 2011, 11:50

Hi Jennylynn, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that religion has once again come between two people who are in love. I'm not a muslim myself so cannot advise as to the why's and wherefore's. I did think that as long as you were a religious person yourself and believe in God that there is no problem in being together. It is probably family pressure, maybe your friends family are very traditional and see your friend marrying a moroccan muslim woman in the future and your relationship is a threat to that.

It saddens me when families use their influence in this way. Sacrificing a family members possible chance of happiness with the person they love for the sake of what they belief is required of them by God. We know God is love, and it's for no one but God to judge what is right and wrong. We can't help who we fall in love with, you could even say it may be God's will....

You have to ask yourself are his feelings for you are strong enough to go against his family and put his faith in God as his judge. I hope you are able to continue your friendship and in time he may see that the rules of religion written by men long ago are not only the way to find God's love. I hope you both find happiness together in the future.
Old 6th February 2011, 14:35

Thank you Arwen. I had a feeling that it could be family pressure as well. He has a few brothers that also live here in the US and I know at least one of them is married to an American woman. My friend has also only been here for a little over 2 years and his brothers have been here over 20, so maybe with him going back home his Moroccan family did put pressure on him, because it seems that his brothers that live here are not being judgmental.
The last thing I want to do it make him feel any kind of regret or go against his family or what he believes God his asking of him, I love and care about him too much for that.
Thank you again for your advise
Jenny.